The preference point system is designed to improve an applicant’s odds of eventually drawing a license in a hard-to-draw hunt area. Preference points are utilized in conducting the resident and nonresident moose, resident and nonresident full price bighorn sheep, nonresident elk, nonresident deer and nonresident antelope drawings. Seventy-five percent (75%) of available licenses in each hunt area and license type will be allocated to the preference point drawing. Applicants with the highest preference point ranking will receive priority in the preference point drawing. The remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of available licenses will be allocated in a random drawing regardless of preference points. The random drawing is intended to provide everyone who applies a chance of drawing a license, regardless of their preference point total.
All applicants will participate in the preference point drawing even if they have no preference points. After the preference point drawing is completed, all unsuccessful applicants will then participate in the random drawing.
A youth applicant wanting to be awarded preference points must be at least eleven (11) years old at the time of submitting an application for a big game limited quota license and must be at least twelve (12) years old when in the field hunting.
A youth applicant wanting to purchase preference points only must be at least eleven (11) years old at the time of submitting an application and must be at least twelve (12) years old by December 31 of that year.
Preference points are assigned to the person’s sportsperson identification number and are tied to a species, but not to a specific hunt area. You are allowed to apply for different hunt areas from one year to the next.
Preference points shall not be restored when an applicant causes more than one customer record to be generated due to using a different last name, first name, date of birth or last four of their social security number. Such circumstances cause preference points to be accumulated under different sportsperson identification numbers and ultimately deleted for failure to apply under the same sportsperson identification number. Exceptions may be made for a name change because of marriage or divorce.
Preference points applied for, awarded or purchased during 2017 are not available for use in the 2017 limited quota drawings. Any preference points awarded in 2017 will be available for use in the 2018 limited quota drawings.
No person may apply for, or be awarded, more than one (1) preference point per species in the same calendar year.
If you were awarded a preference point in the initial drawing period, you are not eligible to purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period.
Please refer to the Department’s website for the application period to apply for the purchase of a preference point only using the online system as per the dates on pages 2-3. There is no application fee to purchase a preference point only.
If a person fails to either apply for a drawing with the preference point option or purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period for two (2) consecutive years, all accumulated points for that species will be lost.